Ready or NOT!!

I work 12 hour shifts. At night. Yes, that's right...7 pm to 7 am...and usually longer than that depending on how big the baby boom is at the moment. I think I'm pretty used to it after a little over 4 years and I even enjoy my job...most of the time. Sometimes it can be pretty nerve-wracking if you have a particularly needy mom (no offense ladies) or a couple of babies who think they need to practice their operatic scales ALL NIGHT LONG.

Anyway, 12 hour shifts make for a long night, as you can imagine. So, at the end of my night I'm usually ready to head straight home & decompress for a little while before hitting the sack. However, a few of my co-workers have recently decided that it would be great fun & very motivational for us to all go walking together at a track down the road when we get off. Now, since I am all about hangin' with the girls and even slightly eager to shed a little of the junk in my trunk, I have been participating for a couple weeks. And, I'm always glad I did it when we get done with our usual 2 miles. But...I HATE IT!!

At least I hate the thought of going before I get there. Does that make sense? I always have to fight with myself and convince myself that I'm doing this for the welfare of my body. The Bible does say our bodies are the temple of God, right? Well, this temple never gets excited about a new paint job or a good window scrubbing. But it sure feels good after it's done!

Such was the case last night. We were slow in the nursery (only 7 kiddos) so we did a fair bit of sitting, which makes it even harder to feel motivated to exercise. I debated all night long about whether or not I really wanted to go walk 2 miles in the heat & humidity. But, in the end, I went with two other girls & walked our 2 miles. We even ran about a quarter of one of those miles! And ya know what? There was a delightful breeze blowing & only minimal humidity!! The Lord loves me after all! :)

All this is to say, when you dread something that's probably gonna be a little difficult, DO IT ANYWAY!! You'll be proud of yourself when you're done and you'll probably reap a blessing you didn't even know was waiting on you!

Have a HUMDINGER of a day everyone!

Comments

  1. Thanks for that encouragement! I have been setting my alarm early for the past week so I could get up and walk. Because I'm desperate to shed a few (okay a lot of) pounds. I hit the snooze everyday!! I of course took today off too!--Hey its Labor Day-I got to really sleep in! Anyway, this week I'm going to try really hard to walk every morning. I know what you mean by not wanting to, but you feel so good afterward.
    Okay, this was the longest comment ever! I kept waiting for it to cut me off!
    Thanks again!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad I just happened to click on your blog today...I really needed that. I really don't want to keep going to school. I'm not even sure that nursing is what I want to do anymore, but I'm hoping God will restore the passion that I had to be a nurse for 20 years. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Oh, how time flies!

Hello? It's me again!

Happy Birthday, Honey!